On Saturday, September 29th Lollyop Farm is hosting the 21st Annual Walk for the Animals at Barktober Fest. Not only is it going to be a really fun day, but the funds you raise will provide shelter, veterinary services, behavior intervention and enrichment, and other forms of compassionate care for the pets in our care. With hundreds of Rochester’s animal lovers attending every year, the event is the largest pet-friendly walk and festival to benefit our community’s homeless and abused pets. And if you haven’t attended before, here are just 11 reasons to consider joining the Walk for the Animals.
11. A fun day for the whole family! (Furry friends included) With so many activities for pets and humans alike, the Walk for the Animals at Barktober Fest is fun for all family members! You’ll have fun mingling with pet lovers from all over the community and meeting all their furry best-friends. You can expect to meet dogs of all different sizes and breeds. And who knows? Maybe your pup will make a new friend too!
10. Funds raised before and during the event help thousands of animals every year. Last year 6,059 pets brought to Lollypop Farm received a second chance at a new home. Lollypop Farm cares for animals of all kinds, from dogs and cats to horses, goats, pigs, birds and more. You make these second chances possible.
9. Prove your pooch is a hotdog eating champion. Is your dog an eating machine? Make their dreams come true when you compete in the Hotdog Bobbing Contest sponsored by Lyons National Bank. Not only will you go home with a happy dog, but you may win some fun prizes!
8. Enjoy some of your favorite local breweries food trucks! The Beer Garden will be filled with beverages from local favorites like Young Lion Brewery, Tito’s Vodka, and OSB Ciderworks. And food trucks like Chef’s Catering, Tom Wahl’s, The Red Fern, Ludwig’s Catering, and Nancy’s Fried Dough will ensure there is something for everyone. Plus, from the Beer Garden you’ll have a great view of stage so you won’t miss any of the fun.
7. Help seek justice for abused pets. Lollypop Farm maintains an SPCA designation and is charged with investigating and enforcing the animal cruelty laws of New York State. Lollypop Farm Humane Law Enforcement Officers investigate animal crimes in Monroe, Orleans, Genesee, and Livingston Counties. Last year, Lollypop Farm investigated 946 cases of suspected animal cruelty. Visit the Humane Law Enforcement booth at the Walk for the Animals at Barktober Fest and learn more about how your support helps local abused pets get a second chance.
6. You don’t have to wait until Halloween to have some dress up fun. Do you dress up your dog for Halloween every year? Well here’s another chance to show off their favorite costume. Enter the Walk for the Animals at Barktober Fest Costume Contest and you could go home with awesome pet-related prizes provided by Pet$aver Healthy Pet Superstore.
5. Giveaways from Rochester’s favorite pet-related businesses. Friends of the animals like Pet$aver Healthy Pet Superstore, Bark∙a∙licious, BONES Dog Bakery, and Bubba BowWow will be joining attending to help support homeless and abused pets. Learn more about what Rochester’s local pet-friendly businesses have to offer while your pups sample their tasty wares.
4. Put your pug’s mug on a T-shirt! Can’t get enough doggy swag? At the Pet and Team Portraits booth get your team’s or pet’s picture taken against a fall backdrop. Not only that, but thanks to our friends at Imprintable Solutions you can put that picture on a t-shirt for a one-of-a-kind memento.
3. It’s not just for the dogs. Last year 1,697 pets received individual support through the Lollypop Farm foster care program. The vast majority of these pets were cats and kittens. Often kittens arrive too young to be spayed or neutered. Many are so young they aren’t even weaned yet. But thanks to events like the Walk for the Animals, these cats and kittens are able to get individualized care with foster care families until they are ready to find new homes.
2. All the slobbery kisses. Monroe Veterinary Associates is sponsoring a dog kissing booth in partnership with Lollypop Farm’s pet assisted therapy program. For just $1, you can get a big wet kiss, learn about pet assisted therapy, and help homeless and abused pets.
1. You’ll be a hero. The Walk for the Animals at Barktober Fest may very well be the most fun you can have while making a huge difference for Rochester’s pets in need. Your registration and the money you raise will help provide homeless pets with the shelter, veterinary services, and the compassionate care they need. It also helps support the Humane Law Enforcement Department which investigates and enforces animal cruelty for our area. You’ll be making a big difference for Rochester’s homeless and abused pets.
Interested in signing up? Learn more at: lollypop.org/bfest.