If You Find A Lost Pet
What to Do if You Find a Lost Pet:
- Check the pet for identification. If you’re lucky, his collar or tag will indicate his owner’s contact information. If he’s wearing a Lollypop Farm ID tag, please call us at (585) 223-1330. If a dog has a New York State license tag, call the town or city clerk or the animal control agency in the town or city where the dog was found. (Please note that as of January 1, 2011, the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets in Albany no longer keeps dog licensing data for local municipalities.) If the animal isn’t wearing tags, you are required by law to notify animal control in the town or city where the animal was found.
- Call Lollypop Farm at (585) 223-1330 to file a Found Pet Report (or submit one online), as well as nearby shelters, animal control agencies, and veterinarians.
- To check if the pet is microchipped, you can take him to a local vet to be scanned. (Make sure to call first to confirm that this will be possible.) You can also take him to Lollypop Farm to be scanned for a microchip.
- Put up “found” posters in your neighborhood and get permission to post flyers and posters at vet offices, groomers, pet-supply stores, supermarkets, and libraries. Make them clear and readable, and include “FOUND DOG” or “FOUND CAT” in large letters. To help you to later determine if a person who contacts you is the pet’s true guardian, leave out one descriptive detail. For signs on the street, make sure that drivers can read them easily; a large posterboard works best. Laminate your signs to weather-proof them. The Missing Pet Partnership offers detailed tips about making effective posters. Be on the lookout for “lost” posters and flyers, too.
- Put “found” ads on Craigslist, on Facebook, in the newspaper(s), and on pet-related sites. Include the pet’s appearance, breed, sex, age, and date found, as well as your contact information and a good photo. Don’t forget to read the “lost” ads, too.
- Rochester Dogs Lost and Found
- Ontario County Happy Tails Humane Society
- Operation Gypsy
- GRASP Lost and Found
- Lost, Found, Missing Pets Rochester NY and surrounding areas
- Lost Dogs of the Finger Lakes
- Frank Vaccaro – “Found Stray Missing Cats” – cats only
- Monroe County New York Lost &
- Democrat and Chronicle
- Genesee Valley Pennysaver
- Bugsy’s Animal Network, Pets 911, Petfinder, and Petango
- If you are unable to find the pet’s guardian and you are unable to keep him, take him to your local animal control or humane society.
More tips and resources