Canine Good Citizen Training and Test
Whether you want to try your hand (paw!) at the AKC Canine Good Citizen (CGC) test or simply want to take your dogs’ skills to the next level, the CGC class might be just the thing you are looking for. The purpose of the American Kennel Club’s Canine Good Citizen Program is to ensure that our favorite companion, the dog, can be a respected member of the community because he is trained to act mannerly in the home, in public places and in the presence of other dogs. The relationship building and training that led to achieving your dog’s CGC also provide an excellent foundation for enjoying other activities like therapy work, rally, obedience, and agility with your dog.
This class will coach you in teaching your dog the manners to pass the Canine Good Citizen Test. You will be encouraged to go on weekly outings outside of class to practice with and socialize your dog. The cost for the test is included in the class registration and will be held at the conclusion of the course. All dogs who successfully complete the CGC test can receive a certificate from the American Kennel Club and are automatically recorded in the AKC’s Canine Good Citizen Archive.
Includes class handouts, clicker, and certificate of completion.
Please bring your dog with you to the first class.
Proceeds from registration fees support the animals and programs at Lollypop Farm. Thank you!
No more than eight (8) dogs per session.
Length of Class
One 45-60 minute class for six weeks.
- Has completed Intermediate Manners or with permission from the instructor.
- Must be safe around other dogs and allow petting by friendly strangers.
- At least 5 months old on the first day of class. Small breed puppies less than 5 months old should enroll in our Puppy Head Start class.
- Must be able to be handled gently by a friendly stranger and must be able to work safely around people and other dogs on and off leash.
- Current on Rabies, Distemper, Parvo, and Bordatella (kennel cough) vaccinations.
- You must have had your dog for at least 10 days prior to the first class.
- Bring vaccination records to the first class.
- Free from all parasites (worms, fleas, ticks, etc)
Overview of Topics
To receive the CGC award, dogs must successfully complete the 10 item Canine Good Citizen Test. Items on the test include:
- Test 1. Accepting a Friendly Stranger
- Test 2. Sitting Politely for Petting
- Test 3. Appearance and Grooming
- Test 4. Out for a Walk (walk on a loose leash)
- Test 5. Walking Through a Crowd
- Test 6. Sit and Down on Cue/Staying in Place
- Test 7. Coming When Called
- Test 8. Reaction to Another Dog
- Test 9. Reactions to Distractions
- Test 10. Supervised Separation
Upcoming Dates – Webster
Saturdays at 1:30 p.m. starting 12/7/2019
12/7, 12/14, 12/21, skip 12/28, 1/4, 1/11, 1/18
Instructor: Brittany Smith
Location: Pet$aver Healthy Pet Superstore
980 Ridge Rd, Webster, NY 14580 (map)
Schedule is subject to change; classes not meeting minimum enrollment may be canceled.
We reserve the right to excuse from class or decline entry to any person or dog who presents behavior that may be dangerous or disruptive to class or for any other reason.
Harsh corrections or intimidating training methods will not be tolerated.
Dogs that are aggressive, fearful, or unable to benefit in a class setting may be referred to private training.
Participation in class is at the discretion of the class instructor and refunds will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.